The United Nations has strongly condemned Monday’s suicide attacks on the two camps for internally displaced persons in northeastern Nigeria and demands swift action be taken to bring perpetrators to justice.
United Nations Secretary-GeneralAntónio Guterres has called for the perpetrators of this “heinous” act to be swiftly brought to justice.
According to a statement issued by his spokesman, the Secretary-General reiterated the UN support to the Government of Nigeria in its fight against terrorism and violent extremism.
“These terrorist acts are targeting people who had already fled their homes as a result of Boko Haram violence,” said Farhan Haq, Deputy Spokesman for the Secretary-General, in the statement.
Preliminary media reports said that at least eight people have been killed in the attacks that took place near the Borno state capital of Maiduguri.
Mr. Haq said the Secretary-General offered his condolences to the people and Government of Nigeria for the loss of life, while also wishing a quick recovery to those injured.
Borno state has been plagued by violent attacks carried out by the Boko Haram insurgents, and Maiduguri has been targeted many times.