South African Troops Will Walk Away From Sudan

Sudan –South African President Jacob Zuma said on Wednesday he has terminated the employment of members of the South African National Defence (SANDF) in Darfur, Sudan.

South Africa

The termination will take effect from April 1, the president said.

Zuma thanked all members of the SANDF for their participation in bringing peace in Darfur. South Africa sent peacekeeping troops to Darfur in 2008 as part of the AU/UN Hybrid Operation in Darfur (UNAMID).

Zuma ordered the withdrawl of SA troops from Sudan after peace was restored to the country.

 

Last year, when Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir was in the country attending an African Union summit, there were reports that SANDF troops in Sudan had been “held hostage” during a court bid to have him arrested.

However, the SANDF denied this at the time.

It was reacting to a report by Netwerk24, quoting unnamed South African soldiers in Sudan, that heavily armed Sudanese soldiers had surrounded military bases in Kutum, Mellit and Malha, and that South African troops had been placed in a state of combat readiness.

According to the report, vehicles approached the South African bases and all troops were in combat gear, fully armed, and positioned in bunkers and against embankments.

 

Advertisements


Categories: Development, Human interest, Security

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: