Ebola screening at the New Zealand border has been scaled back, with Sierra Leone recently declared free of the disease.
As a result, additional border screening of travellers who have recently been in Sierra Leone has been lifted
Screening for travellers arriving from West African countries affected by the Ebola outbreak was introduced in August last year, as part of local and international efforts to control the outbreak.
“The Ministry of Health (MOH) has greatly appreciated the support from New Zealand Customs which has been instrumental in implementing the additional border screening measures for Ebola,” said MOH Acting Director of Public Health, Dr Stewart Jessamin.
“The two agencies are continuing to work closely on the management of border health risks.”
As of December 8, 167 people were identified at the border as having visited an Ebola-affected country in the previous 30 days, she said.
The Ministry of Health is continuing to monitor the situation in West Africa, where Guinea is now the only country yet to be declared free of Ebola transmission.”
Addiotional border screening will continue for travellers who have recently visited Guinea, until it is declared Ebola-free by the World Health Organisation.
A country must have no new cases of the disease for 42 days before it can be declared free of Ebola transmission.