Sierra Leone’s envoy to the People’s Republic of China, His Excellency Victor Bockarie Foh, has been appointed the Vice President of the Republic of Sierra Leone.
The announcement was made today Thursday 19th March, 2015 at State House.
The Sierra Leone Broadcasting Corporation (SLBC) announced the news.
Honourable Foh was National Secretary General of the All Peoples Congress Party (APC) before he was appointed Ambassador to China.
The former Vice President, Alhaji Sam-Sumana, who was expelled from the ruling All Peoples Congress by the National Advisory Council of the party, said he will take the matter to the Supreme Court for interpretation of the decision by the President of relieving him of his duties as Vice President of the Republic of Sierra Leone.
In a Press Release dated 18th March 2015, the VP said he is still the Vice President and will not quit and will take matter to the Supreme Court.
“I have heard on both SLBC Radio and Television of the action of the President, Dr. Ernest Bai Koroma, in purporting to relieve me of my duties as Vice-President of the Republic of Sierra Leone, having been duly elected to the said Office, together with the President in 2012. I received the said news with shock and dismay.
However, since I am not a Constitutional Lawyer, I have consulted with my legal team that has advised me as follows:-
- That I was not appointed as Vice President by the President, but was duly elected to that Office pursuant to section 54(3) of the Constitution.
- That the President has absolutely no power to ‘relieve me of the duties of the Vice President’ in any part of the Constitution, Act No. 6 of 1991, but the said Constitution makes provisions at Section 55 thereof for the Office of the Vice President to become vacant either:
- On the expiration of the Term of Office of the Vice President ,
- If the Vice President resigns or retires from the said Office (…),
- If the Vice President is removed from office in accordance with either the Provisions of Section 49(4) of the said Constitution; Or
- Upon the assumption by the Vice President to the Office of the President under Section 49(4) of the said Constitution.
I have been further advised by my legal team that my purported removal from the Office of the Vice President, to which I was duly elected by the people of the Republic of Sierra Leone, is UNCONSTITUNAL and UNLAWFUL.